Charcoal-Grilled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 whole chicken (4 lbs.)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Salt and pepper the chicken cavity and place the onion quarters and garlic inside.
- Arrange hot coals around a drip pan in the bottom of a kettle-type grill. Place the chicken on the grill grate directly over the drip pan. Cook until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast reaches 160ºF (about 1 1⁄2 hours).
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow to cool. Remove vegetables from cavity and peel the skin from the chicken. Pull the chicken meat from the bones, using a fork or your fingers, and place in a large saucepan. Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken and simmer until heated. Serve on hamburger buns.