Cheddar-Herb Chicken Pie
This chicken pie is full of sharp Cheddar and herbs. It makes a striking centerpiece to a warm comforting meal!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (9")
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup minced chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Use a fork to shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Press one pie crust into a deep-dish pie pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the celery and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and flour and cook until the flour smells nutty, but not yet brown, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add the salt, pepper, and cheese and remove from the heat. Stir until the cheese has melted and fold in the dill, chives, parsley, and chicken.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell. Place the top shell over the pie filling, fold under the edges and crimp to seal. Cut two or three vents in the top of the crust and brush the crust with the beaten egg.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake until the crust is brown and the filling bubbly, about 50 minutes. When the pie is done, remove from the oven and let the pie sit for 15 minutes before serving.