Cheddar and Jalapeño Corn Sticks
If you like the jalapeño flavor but don’t want the crunchy texture in your sticks, heat the milk till it is not quite boiling and then add jalapeño rings to the milk. Refrigerate overnight and discard the jalapeño before cooking.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place 2 cast-iron corn stick pans on the middle rack.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the milk and egg together in a separate bowl. Add the milk mixture, cheese, scallions, and the jalapeños to the dry mixture and stir gently until everything is combined.
- Carefully remove the hot pans from the oven and use a brush to apply the melted butter. Pour the batter into the pans, being careful not to get any batter on the outside of the pans.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the sticks from the pan and let them cool for 5 minutes.