Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Make these yummy potatoes with either white or yellow Cheddar cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large russet potatoes (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 2-inch uniform pieces. Put potato pieces in a pot with 1 teaspoon of salt and cold water to cover.
- Turn heat to medium high and bring potatoes and water to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and cook until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander and let the steam dissipate for 5 minutes. The steam evaporates the excess water, which allows the potatoes to dry out and makes them fluffier when mashed.
- Put cooked potatoes in a bowl and mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer. Add butter and milk, and mix to a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in Cheddar cheese.