Cheddar and Pepper Multi-Grain Crackers
Making your own crackers is easy. Not only are these homemade snacks full of whole-grains, they taste better than store-bought, too!
Makes: 24 crackersHands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 24 crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coarse ground corn meal
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper to the size of a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, and brown rice flour in a large mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir to mix. Add the shredded Cheddar cheese and toss until the flours have coated the individual shreds of cheese. Add the olive oil and mix again. Add 1¼ cup water and knead until a stiff dough forms. Add the additional 2 tablespoons of water only if needed to form a solid dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface. Knead the dough until the dough comes together to a uniform consistency. Cut the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Lightly flour one of the cut pieces of parchment paper. Place one quarter of the dough on the parchment and roll it out as thin as you can without it breaking, being careful to keep the thickness of the dough as even as possible. If the dough starts to stick to your rolling pin, lightly dust with flour. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into desired shapes and sizes.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the parchment. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. Store crackers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.