Cheese Dessert (Bengali Sandesh)
This very popular East Indian sweet is traditionally made with homemade Indian cheese, paneer.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk powder
- 4 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. golden raisins
- Blend together all the ingredients using a hand blender or by hand until you get a smooth paste. Taste the mixture. If you like your dessert sweeter, add sugar.
- In a medium-sized nonstick pan, over very low heat, heat the cheese mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a lightly buttered serving tray. Allow to cool for about 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 portions. Top with pistachios and raisins and mold into shapes.