This recipe is a wonderful way to use up bits of cheese that are in your refrigerator or left over from a dinner party. Plus, it is an excellent dish for lunch or supper.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup 2% milk, warmed
- 3⁄4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare two individual soufflé dishes (2 cups) by using 1 tablespoon butter for greasing the insides and then sprinkling the Parmesan around the bottom and up the sides.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon butter in a frying pan and mix in the shallots. Cook for 3 minutes over medium high heat; then stir in the brown rice flour and seasonings. Cook and stir until well blended, an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the warm milk. Continue to whisk and stir until very thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese. Beat the egg yolks and add 1 tablespoon of the hot cheese mixture into the yolks; then whisk in the rest. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour into the soufflé dishes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown and puffed. Serve immediately.