Cheese Soufflé with Artichokes and Spinach
This makes an excellent family dinner or a delicious brunch. Serve with chunks of toasted baguette, and a nice dessert. Lot’s of puff make this seem like a great deal more than it actually is!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and moisture squeezed out
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread a two-quart soufflé dish or casserole with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with flour to cover.
- Put the well-drained vegetables in a bowl. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter and whisk in the cornstarch, let foam and slowly whisk in the milk. When thickened add the cheese, salt, pepper, and vegetables. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and add them to the vegetables and sauce. Using a clean beaters and bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the vegetables and sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes. Serve instantly.