All the best flavors of a cheeseburger can be found in this tasty pie. Garnishing with a drizzle of ketchup and mustard gives this meal a whimsical touch!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), unbaked
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Line the pie shell with a double layer of aluminum foil and add pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then remove the foil and weights and bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until it foams. Add the ground beef and cook until well browned, about 7 minutes. Drain off the excess fat.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion, relish, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes, then add the flour and stir until no raw flour remains. Stir in the milk and cook until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of the shredded cheese into the bottom of the prepared crust. Pour the meat mixture over the top, then top the pie with the remaining cheese.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.