Cheesiest Macaroni and Cheese
Save to My Recipes
Giving up gluten also means giving up the macaroni and cheese from a box. This homemade version makes a comforting meal that tastes way better than the boxed stuff.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. gluten-free dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. crushed gluten-free corn flakes
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Cook macaroni noodles in a large pot of water according to package directions. Drain in a colander.
- While the macaroni cooks, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low. Add the cornstarch, salt, pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth.
- Add the milk and cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts and the sauce is creamy and smooth, about 5–8 minutes.
- Stir the macaroni noodles into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with the crushed corn flakes.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and lightly browned. Let the casserole dish sit about 5 minutes before serving so the cheesy, creamy sauce has a chance to thicken.