Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
Cheesy asparagus is topped with a bacon & cheese sauce for a perfect side dish to any holiday gathering.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 strips bacon, cut into ½” pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch mixed with ¼ cup water
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a 9”x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Leave bacon grease in the pan.
- Add garlic to the skillet and cook about 1 minute. Add milk and cream, cook about 5 minutes, until warmed. Stir in arrowroot slurry and stir until thickened. Slowly add ½ cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup gruyere cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place asparagus in prepared dish. Spread cheese sauce over asparagus and top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup gruyere cheese. Sprinkle with bacon pieces.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes, then remove aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.