“Cheesy” Broccoli and Rice Casserole
If you’re substituting frozen broccoli, there’s no need to cook it first, just thaw and use about 1
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 head broccoli, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3½ cups cooked rice
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Microwave broccoli 3 minutes until just barely soft; do not overcook.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3–4 minutes. Reduce heat and add flour, stirring continuously to combine. Add soy milk and vegetable broth and heat, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, margarine, nutmeg, mustard powder, and salt.
- Combine sauce, steamed broccoli, and cooked rice and transfer to a large casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes.