Cheesy Broccoli Rice
You don’t need to use a canned condensed soup to make broccoli rice casseroles. This scratch version is delicious!
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, place the water and rice over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Cover again and let sit 5 minutes.
- Place broccoli in large saucepan; add water to cover broccoli. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3–4 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and tender. Remove from heat, drain, and place broccoli in a 1½-quart casserole dish.
- Heat butter in a large skillet and add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for 2–3 minutes more, until mushrooms are softened. Add cornmeal and mix to combine. Slowly add milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens, about 4 minutes. Add 1½ cups cheese and stir.
- Combine rice and cheese sauce with broccoli in casserole dish. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and golden brown.