Cheesy Chicken Melts
Crusty French bread filled with spicy juicy chicken, roasted vegetables and melty cheese is perfect for a backyard barbecue.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 small sweet onion, cut in ½" wedges
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in ½" strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (16 oz.) Kroger® Blackened Marinated Chicken Breasts
- 1 (7-8 oz.) French baguette
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. In medium bowl, toss onion and bell pepper with olive oil. Place in grill basket and grill 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove chicken from marinade and add to grill. Continue grilling onion and pepper, and grill chicken 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink in center and interior temperature reaches at least 165°F, turning and rotating once for even cooking.
- Meanwhile, split baguette lengthwise but do not cut completely apart; spread open. Spread both cut sides with mayonnaise. Layer half of cheese on each cut side, overlapping.
- When chicken is ready, remove from grill and cover with foil; rest 5 minutes. Adjust grill heat to low. Cut chicken across the grain on the diagonal in thin strips. Layer chicken on bottom half of baguette and top with onion and bell pepper.
- Cut 2 pieces of nonstick foil. Close sandwich and press down firmly to compress; cut in half horizontally. Wrap each half in foil. Place on grill and heat 10 minutes, turning over once, until cheese is melted; cut each half in half again to serve.