Cheesy Chicken Penne
Serve this elegant dish immediately so there is still contrast between the creamy chicken and crunchy croutons.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed garlic croutons
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside. Drain drippings from skillet and discard; do not wipe out skillet.
- Add olive oil and onion to skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, basil, thyme, and half-and-half to skillet and bring to a simmer. Drain pasta and add to skillet along with butter, Swiss cheese, crushed croutons, and Parmesan cheese; toss gently and serve immediately.