Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Rolls
This recipe is a lovely addition to any brunch table, though it’s hearty enough to eat on its own.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. corn flour
- 2 cups milk or heavy cream, warmed
- 2⁄3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced smoked ham
- 2 tsp. sherry
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bunch frozen asparagus
- 1⁄2 lb. smoked ham, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb. white American cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking pan.
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour over medium-low heat. Sauté, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the warm milk or cream, whisking constantly until thickened to desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, ham, sherry, salt, and pepper.
- Drop the frozen asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute and dry on paper towels. Lay out the slices of ham. Place a slice of cheese and then an asparagus spear on each ham slice. Roll up and secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Pour the cheese sauce in the prepared pan and place the rolls on the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Serve hot.