Cheesy Potato Chips
Homemade potato chips are a special treat. For crispy chips, you’ll need to cut the potatoes very thin. Use the slicing blade of a food processor a box grater, a mandolin, or vegetable peeler. Always place cut potatoes in water until you cook them to prevent oxidation. To get the cheesy flavoring, use shelf-stable, pre-grated Parmesan cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 cups peanut oil
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- Thinly slice potatoes and place slices in a large bowl of cold water.
- In a large high-sided, heavy pot, heat peanut oil over high heat until it reaches 375°F. Remove a handful of potato slices from the ice water and dry thoroughly on kitchen towels. Carefully drop potato slices into the hot oil. Cook and stir to separate. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove with a large strainer and place in a single layer on fresh paper towels to cool. Immediately sprinkle with some cheese and salt and toss. Repeat with remaining chips, cheese, and salt. Cool completely and store in airtight container for up to 1 week.