Cheesy Spinach Shells
Traditionally stuffed shells use heavy cheeses, loads of sodium, and few natural ingredients. This variation keeps the beloved flavors and textures of stuffed shells, but cleans them up and makes them more nutritious.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup ground flaxseed
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 package (12 oz.) large pasta shells
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a 9-by-9-inch dish with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach, cottage cheese, ground flaxseed, goat cheese, and garlic until thoroughly combined. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place the shells into the prepared dish, seam-side up, and stuff each shell full of the spinach and cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover the dish, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove cover, and continue to bake for 10–15 minutes, or until shells are firm and stuffing is bubbly.