Cheesy Spinach Strata
Expecting company for breakfast? This delightful strata can be prepared the night before, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven when the time comes. What could be easier?
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté onion until translucent and aromatic, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until spinach has wilted. Set aside.
- Spray a 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1⁄3 of the bread into the casserole dish, top with 1⁄3 of spinach mixture and 1⁄3 of cheese. Continue layering with the remaining bread, spinach mixture, and cheese.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in large mixing bowl. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the top the casserole. Cover in plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and eggs have set. Serve hot.