Oh my - delicious breakfast, dessert or treat that is a winner with fresh cherries, or canned if they're not in season.
- 1⁄2 package frozen puff pastry, (1 sheet), thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. On a flour covered surface, roll out pastry into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add cherries and gently combine.
- Add coated cherries to half of the pastry rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border of pastry uncovered. Beat egg and add water. Brush uncovered pastry edges with egg wash.
- Fold the uncovered half of pastry mixture. Using a fork, press together edges of pastry until sealed. Cut slits across the top of pastry. Brush top with egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes; until pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, almond extract and milk to make icing. Drizzle on top of pastry. Sprinkle sliced almonds over top.