Cherry Tomato and Cheddar Scones
These savory scones are lovely for a Sunday brunch, and—if there are any leftovers—they make Monday morning breakfast quick and unexpectedly decadent. Cherry tomatoes add a burst of subtle sweetness to the cheese and herb flavors.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup half and half
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift 2 1⁄4 cups flour with baking powder, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with two butter knives until butter pieces resemble small peas. Stir in half and half and 1 egg, mixing with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Stir cheese, tomatoes, and parsley into the mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining flour on a flat work surface. Pat the dough into a roughly 7-by-3-inch rectangle. Divide into 8 wedges. Place scones on a prepared baking sheet. Whisk remaining egg in a small bowl. Brush on scones.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes until golden brown.