There are times when you want a dessert with an artful presentation—and times when you want a wholesome sweet to finish a weekday meal. Chess cake is a perfect everyday treat, and leftovers will keep well enough to enjoy another night.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup melted butter, divided
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- Mix cake mix, 2 of the eggs, and 1⁄2 cup of the melted butter in a large bowl. Turn batter into pan.
- Mix cream cheese with the remaining 1⁄2 cup butter and two eggs in a separate bowl. Fold confectioners’ sugar into cream cheese mixture.
- Layer cream cheese mixture over batter in pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in the pan.