This is one of the most elegant quick breads. You can use imported French chestnuts in cans or jars. Be sure not to get sugared chestnuts or those packed in sugar syrup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1 cup canned chestnuts, drained, rinsed, and dried
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. Splenda
- 2¼ cups chestnut flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the egg, milk, chestnuts, butter, and Splenda in a blender and purée.
- Pour the puréed mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Fold in the egg whites.
- Bake for 60 minutes on a rack in the middle of the oven. Remove bread from the oven and set on a cooling rack. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.