Chestnut Cannelloni with Sage, Mushrooms, and Wine Sauce
This is wonderfully delicious and easy to make in advance. A fine variation is to add some spinach to the ricotta stuffing. You can also substitute prosciutto for regular ham.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Italian chestnut flour
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup smoked ham, thinly sliced and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 10 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, milk, and chestnut flour in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Pour 1⁄3 cup batter into the hot pan, moving the pan around in circles to evenly spread the batter.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side; don’t over- or undercook or the pasta will tear. Repeat with remaining vegetable oil and batter. Stack on sheets of waxed paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, nutmeg, ham, parsley, basil and 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese. Lay out 1 sheet of pasta and spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta mixture across one edge. Carefully roll the pasta into a tube and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining pasta and filling. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shallots and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cornstarch and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Blend in the wine, broth, sage, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over the cannelloni and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.