Chewy Gluten-Free Vegan Bagels
Make your own bagels with this gluten-free, vegan recipe. Feel free to swap out the sesame seeds for your favorite topping: dried onion flakes, poppy seeds, or coarse salt.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 cups arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. coconut palm sugar, divided
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds mixed with 6 Tbsp. hot water and 2 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 1¼ cups warm water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1½ Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 1½ Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, yeast, baking soda, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flaxseed mixture and warm water. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon for 3–4 minutes, until dough is very thick.
- Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and set in a warm place. Allow the dough to rise for at least 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 12 balls. Using your hands, flatten each ball into a disk and using your index finger, poke a hole in the middle. Place each bagel on the prepared baking sheet. Cover bagels with another sheet of plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fill a large pot with 3-quarts of water and bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Into a rolling boil, add 2 bagels at a time and boil for 30 seconds–1 minute on each side. Remove bagels carefully from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place back on the prepared baking sheet. When all bagels have been boiled, brush lightly with almond milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes until bagels are golden-brown.