Chewy Granola Bars
These soft and chewy granola bars make a healthy, fat-free change from their commercial counterparts. Perfect for a quick energy boost or a guilt-free go-to snack anytime.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. sodium-free baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 square baking pans (8 inches) lightly with oil and set aside.
- Place the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Add the applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the dried fruit. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 prepared pans and smooth down. Place pans on the middle rack in oven and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and place on wire rack to cool briefly. Cut each pan into 10 equal-size bars. Carefully remove bars from pans and place on wire rack to cool. Serve immediately, store in an airtight container, or wrap individually and freeze.