Chianti Gelato (Gelato di chianti)
Chianti is a strong fruity Italian wine with notes of cherry, plum, almonds, tobacco, and vanilla. Adding the freshly ground pepper perfectly complements the wine while not overpowering it.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 11 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup good-quality Chianti
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return egg mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened. Pour ½ cup of the heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream. Add remaining ½ cup cream, and stir to combine.
- Stir Chianti into gelato mixture. Refrigerate 8 hours.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.