Chicken and Summer Vegetable Orecchiette Pasta with Lemon-Butter Sauce
This delicious recipe from The Roasted Root is light on pasta, but heavy on vegetables for a flavorful, energizing meal.
Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and chopped into ½” pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 package (12 oz.) HemisFares™ Orecchiette pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium zucchini squash, trimmed and chopped into ½” pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Lemon wedges and Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Get a pot of boiling water ready for cooking the pasta. Once boiling, add salt and 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Allow the water to simmer while you're preparing the rest of the recipe. You can always bring the water to a boil again once you're ready to cook the pasta.
- Heat the butter, oil, garlic and lemon juice in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, or until garlic is very fragrant.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the yellow squash, zucchini, green onion, lemon zest and Italian seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until veggies begin to soften.
- Move the vegetables over to one side of the skillet and add the chicken. Allow chicken to brown for 1 minute before stirring everything together. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes, or until veggies and chicken are cooked through. If there is excess liquid at the bottom of the skillet, continue cooking a couple of minutes longer until much of it evaporates.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, add the full package of orecchiette to the pot of boiling water (Note: You may need to bring the pot of water back to a boil by increasing the heat). Cook 9-11 minutes, or until pasta reaches desired doneness. For al dente pasta, cook 6-8 minutes. Drain pasta into a colander.
- Be sure most of the water is strained out of the pasta before adding it to the skillet with the vegetables and chicken. Add the chopped basil and salt and stir well. Taste pasta and add more lemon juice or salt to taste. Serve the pasta with fresh lemon wedges and Parmesan cheese.