Chicken and Barley Vegetable Soup
This soup is an excellent “kitchen sink” recipe, meaning that you can toss in just about any fresh or frozen vegetables or spices you happen to have on hand.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup barley
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked, sliced chicken breast
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot over medium high heat. Sauté onion, carrot, and celery for 3 to 5 minutes, just until onions are almost soft.
- Add broth, barley, mixed vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, thyme. and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, stir in chicken, and cook for 10 more minutes until chicken is heated through.
- Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.