Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Ham and Cheese
This dish can be prepared in advance and refrigerated overnight. It will take longer to cook if put into the oven directly from the refrigerator.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (6 oz.)
- ¼ tsp. seasoned salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 oz. Black Forest deli ham (about 4 slices), cut into 1½" wide strips
- 2 oz. deli Swiss or Gruyére cheese (about 2 slices), cut into 1½" wide strips
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup panko (Japanese-style breading)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. Brush the inside of each breast with 1 teaspoon mustard. Lay equal portions of the ham and cheeses over half of each breast, and fold back to the original shape. Secure the seam with a toothpick.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a medium-sized baking dish with foil and brush with the olive oil. Place the stuffed chicken breasts seam-side down in the baking dish. Brush the chicken with the beaten egg and evenly coat each breast with an equal amount of the panko crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered until done, about 20 to 22 minutes. To check for doneness, cut through the bottom of a stuffed breast; the chicken should be cooked throughout without a trace of pinkness, and the cheese filling should be melted.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes to allow the filling to set. To serve, place a breast on each serving plate and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.