These chicken cakes will have almost the same texture as fish cakes once they are fried. For a fresh side, serve this with a cucumber salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 fresh Thai chilies, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. fish sauce, divided
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 8 oz. ground chicken breast
- 4 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 large egg
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped green beans
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Crush the chilies and garlic with a mortar and pestle into a coarse paste. Add 3 tablespoons fish sauce, lime juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, and honey to the chili and garlic paste. Alternatively, put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until chilies and garlic are chopped into small pieces, about 10 seconds. Add cilantro and sesame seeds and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan to 350°F.
- Combine ground chicken, curry paste, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, and egg in a stainless steel or sturdy mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Gather the mixture into a ball and throw back to the side of the bowl. Continue slapping the mixture to the side of the bowl until the mixture is slightly thick and sticky.
- Mix in lime leaves and green beans. Roll into small discs and deep-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with the dip.