Calzones are basically stuffed pizzas. Make these mini-calzones with store-made pizza dough filled with sautéed onions, pepper, shredded chicken and 2 cheeses.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each), poached and shredded
- 1 cup Havarti shredded cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- Divide pizza dough into 8 pieces, cover with kitchen towel, and set aside.
- In small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper; cook and stir until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and beat into cream cheese in large bowl. Add shredded chicken, Havarti cheese, and parsley to cream cheese mixture.
- Roll out each ball of dough to an 8-inch circle. Top with ½ cup of the chicken mixture. Fold dough over filling, making a half round. Fold edges over to seal. Place calzones on prepared baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 25–35 minutes, or until calzones are browned. Cool on wire racks for 5 minutes, then serve.