Chicken Curry with Crispy Turmeric Coconut
This curry is loaded with the bright, aromatic spice of ginger, and the crispy coconut and turmeric topping is absolutely addicting. Use your favorite curry paste and make it as spicy or mild as you like.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, roughly ground
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. curry paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add coriander and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in ginger and onion and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and curry paste and stir for 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth and whisk well. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and frozen broccoli. Cook for 10 minutes until chicken and broccoli are warmed through, stirring occasionally.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until it shimmers. Add coconut, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cook until coconut is crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Top curry with crispy coconut and cilantro before serving.