This is a comfort food recipe of braised chicken, smothered in onions and mushrooms.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 3-lb. chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup white grape juice
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup heavy cream
- On a dinner plate, mix together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Brown floured chicken pieces in butter. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Sauté the onions in the same pan, with remaining butter. Pour the chicken broth and grape juice in the pan, stir, and then place the chicken back in the pan with the simmering sauce.
- Add the mushrooms and the bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Take off the lid, remove the bay leaf, and stir in the heavy cream.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with remaining salt and pepper.