This foolproof roast chicken is wrapped in parchment paper and stuffed with kefalotyri cheese. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.), rinsed and dried
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 6–7 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- ¾ cup cubed kefalotyri or Romano cheese
- ½ large lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Take two pieces of parchment paper (each 2 feet long) and lay them on a work surface in a cross pattern. Place the chicken in the middle of the parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Rub the oil-lemon mixture all over the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with paprika and oregano. Place the garlic, cheese, and lemon wedges in the cavity of the chicken.
- Wrap the parchment around the chicken, so it is completely enclosed. Use butcher’s twine and tie the chicken into a bundle.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast for 90–110 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 180°F.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before unwrapping it; then serve.