Chicken in Phyllo
A combination of cooking spray and butter makes flaky layers with less fat than puff pastry in this special party recipe.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each), cubed
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 can (13 oz.) low-fat evaporated milk
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, divided
- 30 sheets (9" x 14") phyllo dough, thawed
- ⅓ cup dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Olive oil spray
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook and stir until tender, about 6 minutes. Toss chicken breasts with flour, salt, and pepper. Add to skillet; cook and stir until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add mustard, evaporated milk, chicken broth, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon thyme leaves to saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and sauce has thickened. Set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough. In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, walnuts, and remaining ½ teaspoon thyme leaves. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lay a sheet of phyllo on the work surface, keeping the rest covered with plastic wrap. Brush sparingly with 1 teaspoon melted butter and sprinkle with a bit of the bread crumb mixture. Top with another sheet; spray with olive oil spray. Repeat layers, using five sheets in all, alternating butter and bread crumb mixture and olive oil spray in between sheets. Do not butter or spray on top sheet.
- Repeat with remaining sheets, making six stacks. Divide chicken mixture over bottom part of each stack on the short side. Fold over once, starting at short side, then fold in ends. Roll up like a jelly roll, enclosing filling. Place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining stacks and filling. Brush the filled rolls with any remaining butter. Bake for 20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Serve immediately.