Chicken and Leek Stew
This incredibly comforting meal isn’t just hearty and warming. It’s also incredibly elegant with the addition of herbed puff pastry triangles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large red potato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large cooked rotisserie chicken breast, cubed (3⁄4 cup)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté leek, celery, carrot, and potato until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth and stir continuously until thickened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add chicken to pot, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Cut puff pastry into 3 strips. Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut 3 triangles from each strip. Place on a large, rimmed sheet pan. Brush each triangle with egg and sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Bake triangles for 8 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Divide chicken stew between 4 bowls, and top with puff pastry. Serve immediately.