Chicken Marsala Sloppy Joes
This mash-up recipe is a combination of two comfort food classics; chicken Marsala and sloppy joes!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 package (1 lb.) mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh sage
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 hearty rolls
- ¼ cup pesto
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and cook 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown. Add the garlic, sage, and thyme and cook another minute, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the salt, pepper and flour and cook another minute.
- Slowly add the wine and broth, stirring as you add to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and vinegar and mix well.
- Split the rolls and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Place the rolls under a broiler to toast the cut sides. When the rolls are very slightly brown around the edges remove from the broiler, and spread the bottom side of each roll with pesto. Place the cheese slices on the on top side of the rolls and return to the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the bottom rolls, place the melted cheese covered rolls on top and serve hot with a side of mixed greens.