Chicken Meatballs in Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
Sun-dried tomatoes add a richness and depth of flavor to this slow-cooked sauce. Serve meatballs and sauce with crusty bread for an appetizer, over pasta for dinner, or tucked into sandwich rolls.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced basil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix the chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, and shallot. Form into 1-inch balls. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, onion, and basil. Stir. Add the meatballs and stir to coat with sauce. Cook on low for 6 hours.