Chicken Meatballs in Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
Sun-dried tomatoes add a richness and depth of flavor to this slow-cooked sauce. Serve meatballs and sauce with crusty bread for an appetizer, over pasta for dinner, or tucked into sandwich rolls.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup dry (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup sliced basil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix the chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, and shallot. Form into 1" balls. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, onion, and basil. Stir. Add the meatballs and stir to coat with sauce. Cook on low for 6 hours.