Chicken Mole Enchiladas
This easy version of homemade mole sauce will take your enchiladas to the next level.
Serves: 7Prep: 55 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 dried ancho and/or guajillo chilies, stems and seed removed
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 16 ( 6”) corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Kroger® Minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 ounces Mexican or dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Monterey cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Sour cream, if desired
- Chopped cilantro, if desired
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor, add dried chilies and raisins; cover with hot broth and let stand at least 20 minutes to soften. Meanwhile in a dry skillet over medium heat, toast 2 corn tortillas until dry; tear into pieces and set aside. Heat oil in the same pan; add onion, garlic, herbs and spices. Cook 3-5 minutes until onion is softened. Add tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted.
- Blend chilies and raisins in blender until smooth. Add tomato mixture, toasted tortillas and peanuts, continue blending until as smooth as possible. Press through a fine mesh strainer (should yield 3-3½ cups); reserve 1 cup. Return remaining sauce to the skillet. Keep sauce warm over low heat while assembling the enchiladas.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease a 9”x13” baking pan; set aside.
- Dip corn tortillas into the sauce for 20-30 seconds to soften and coat. Filling with about ¼ cup chicken and a heaping tablespoon cheese. Roll up tightly and place in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour reserved sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Bake 18-20 minutes until bubbly and hot; sprinkle with queso fresco. Serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.