Chicken Parmesan Hoagies
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14.5) diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each), pounded thin
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 sub rolls
- 6 oz. thinly sliced mozzarella
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally until heated and thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and black pepper in a wide-rimmed bowl. Dip both sides of the chicken breasts first in the egg and then in the bread crumb mixture. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry chicken for 12 to 14 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice open the rolls. Layer each roll with sauce, chicken, mozzarella, and more sauce. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and heat for 7 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.