Serve this chicken parmesan alone or with spaghetti for a true Italian-American meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with a whisk or fork. Put flour into another bowl and mix in salt.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Dip each chicken breast first in flour, then egg, then in the bread crumb mixture.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the coated chicken breasts in heated olive oil, turning when bottom side of chicken is golden brown. Place browned chicken breast slices on top of the tomato sauce in the baking dish.
- Cover chicken breasts with remaining tomato sauce. Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.