Chicken Patties with Caramelized Onions and Pan Sauce
Caramelized onions add great flavor to these tender chicken patties. Use the same pan to fry the patties and make a simple pan sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or in a soft bun.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup panko
- 1 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn light brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine egg, 1⁄2 cup panko, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add caramelized onions; do not rinse pan. Add ground chicken to egg mixture and mix gently but thoroughly. Form into 6 patties.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan used to cook onions; heat over medium heat. Working in batches, if necessary, add chicken patties and sauté for 4 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn patties and sauté for 3 to 6 minutes longer, or until internal temperature of chicken is 165°F. Repeat with remaining chicken patties. Transfer all chicken patties to serving platter.
- Add chicken broth to skillet and bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes to reduce liquid; pour over chicken patties and serve.