Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
If you prefer, you can replace the buttermilk biscuits with pie crust.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each), cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a 4-quart ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, and garlic to the pan. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, broth, and thyme to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Whisk the flour and wine together in a small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk in 1 cup of the hot broth from the pan. Strain to remove any lumps, then pour into the pan. Stir to mix. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil. Boil and stir until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream, peas and carrot, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Press or roll out the biscuits until they’re about 1⁄4 inch thick. Cut slits in the top of each biscuit to allow steam to escape while they’re baking. Arrange the biscuits over the top of the pie. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the biscuit crust is golden and the gravy is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.