Chicken and Rice Bake
This dish is frequently made with cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, but a homemade sauce is so much better.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place chicken in a medium saucepan with chicken broth, seasoned salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a plate. Cover loosely with foil and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Strain broth into a large cup or small bowl; set aside. In the same saucepan, melt 1⁄4 cup butter. Over medium-low heat, sauté celery and onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in reserved chicken broth and milk. Cook sauce, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add salt and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
- Chop cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken and peas to sauce along with cooked rice. Spoon chicken and rice mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter in a small bowl; sprinkle over the casserole. Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and bread crumbs are lightly browned.