Chicken and Rice Soup
This comforting soup stands alone as a healthful and satisfying meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5½ cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and chop into 1"-thick pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté the chicken pieces for 6–8 minutes, until they are well done. Set the chicken aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pot, and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until translucent, about 3–4 minutes. Add the celery and carrot to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, cooked chicken, cabbage, bay leaves, water, and rice to the pot. Simmer the soup for 20 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Remove the bay leaves before serving.