Chicken Risotto with Vegetables
If you prefer, you can leave the skin on the chicken, but spoon out any excess fat from the saucepan before adding the carrots and other vegetables. Also, increase the cooking time if necessary to make sure the chicken is cooked.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and finely chopped
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (6 oz.)
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 1½ cups arborio or short-grain rice
- About 4½ cups chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is tender. Add the chicken breasts and cook on medium heat, turning occasionally, until the chicken is browned on both sides and cooked about halfway.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the rice and 1 cup of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the broth is nearly absorbed. Add ½ cup of the broth and cook until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the broth ½ cup at a time and letting it absorb before adding more, until the rice is creamy (about 20 minutes). Make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving.