Chicken-Sage Burgers with Fontina
Burgers are easy to make and versatile. You can adapt them to please your taste or current craving by mixing into the ground meat an endless variety of herbs, spices, cheeses and toppings. Here, shallot, garlic, sage, Dijon mustard, and Fontina cheese add a light, Mediterranean touch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. minced sage
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 slices fontina cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix together the chicken, shallot, garlic, bread crumbs, sage, mustard, and vinegar. Form into 4 patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Cook the burgers, turning once, for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned and fully cooked (internal temperature should reach 165˚F). Add a slice of cheese to each, cook 30 seconds or until the cheese is starting to melt.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, and onion.