This is a popular dish in Chinese and Thai cuisines and has been enthusiastically adopted by Americans. This is terrific for watching football!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced, divided
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and minced, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. chili paste
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 5 tsp. lime juice, divided
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1⁄4 lbs. boneless chicken breast, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water at least 30 minutes
- Place peanut butter, coconut milk, sesame oil, rice vinegar, 3 cloves minced garlic, half of the ginger, chili paste, hoisin sauce, 3 teaspoons lime juice, and fish sauce in a blender and food processor and whirl until very well blended. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1 clove garlic, remaining ginger, and sherry together in a nonreactive (ceramic or glass) bowl. Add chicken and mix to coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Drain the marinade and discard. Put 2 or 3 pieces of chicken on each presoaked wooden skewer.
- Prepare the grill to medium indirect heat.
- Grill until nicely browned on both sides, turning as necessary. Serve on a large platter with a bowl of sate dipping sauce on the side.