This is a popular dish in Chinese and Thai cuisines and has been enthusiastically adopted by Americans. This is terrific for watching football!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1" piece gingerroot, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp. chili paste
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1" piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1¼ lbs. boneless chicken breast, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water at least 30 minutes
- Place all sate ingredients in a food processor and whirl until very well blended. Set aside.
- Mix the soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, gingerroot, and sherry together in a nonreactive (ceramic or glass) bowl. Add the chicken and mix to coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Drain the marinade and discard. Put 2 or 3 pieces of chicken on each presoaked wooden skewer.
- Prepare the grill to medium.
- Grill until nicely browned on both sides, turning as necessary. Serve on a large platter with a bowl of sate dipping sauce on the side.