Chicken and Sausage Soup
This soup is speedy, hearty, and very comforting. You can use any kind of link sausage you prefer here, but a smoked sausage adds the best flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. smoked sausage, cut into ¼" pieces
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (15 oz.) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Heat a 6- or 8-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside. Add the butter and heat until melted and foamy. Sauté onion, celery, and carrot, stirring constantly, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and cayenne pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage back to the pot along with the chicken, white beans, chicken stock, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with pepper then serve hot.